|Title||Pulpit Bible of Edward "Ned" Patterson (1858)|
|Lexicon category||8: Communication Artifact|
Pulpit Bible that belonged to Edward "Ned" Patterson of Owen Sound, 19th-century (1858). In the mid-region, there is a title page for "The New Testament of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ" and the publisher's date of 1858. It has double-columned pages. The cover is ornately pressed and is black all over. The spine has pressed decoration and "Holy Bible" in gilt colour.
There are marble endpapers.
In Volume 8 / 2011 of NORTHERN TERMINUS: THE AFRICAN CANADIAN HISTORY JOURNAL, this Bible in pictured in an article about Edward (Ned) Patterson by Naomi Norquay. She mentions that his obituary was published in THE TIMES (Owen Sound newspaper) of Friday, February 19, 1904 (page 1, column 5).
The Bible is an Oxford University publication, from 1858.
The last owner, Essie Miller (nee____) reported that this was a pulpit Bible "from the little Negro Church on 2nd Ave. West. Used by Edward Patterson". Edward Patterson was Essie's great-great uncle. Essie Miller resided at Owen Sound.
American-born Edward “Ned” Patterson was a slave in Maryland. By the 1850s, he was in Owen Sound, Canada West. In 1865, he was a hostler (person who takes care of horses at the Johnson Hotel. In the 1871 census, he was listed as a 46 year old labourer. He also worked as a teamster and stagecoach driver.
Circa 1880, Ned sometimes preached as a lay minister at the Owen Sound B.M.E. Church (at its 2nd Ave. West location). In its early years, the Owen Sound church was a log structure known as “Little Zion”. This is Ned’s pulpit Bible, an 1858 edition that was published at Oxford University.
His son, Allan Patterson lived in Owen Sound too.
Thomas Henry Miller, Francis Molock and John Green also were local BME preachers in the early days. The first ordained minister to serve the congregation was Rev. Josephus Obanion.
There is a photograph of Ned Patterson present in the Grey County Archives.
British Methodist Episcopal Church (B.M.E.)