|Object ID #||1960.018.002|
|Title||5 Gallon Jug Made for the Lang House Drugstore|
|Lexicon category||5: T&E For Science & Technology|
|Year Range from||1883|
|Year Range to||1885|
|Artist||"Oscar" [unidentifed pottery]|
|Made||Unknown potter named "Oscar"|
|Place of Origin||Brantford or Paris, Ontario?|
|Description||A five-gallon jug from the LANG HOUSE drugstore, 1880s. The stoneware jug has a grey-coloured glaze on its exterior. This item might have been made in the Brantford or Paris, Ontario area. There is a blue and green cobalt oxide, finger-painted leaf design (painted on after shaping but before the firing) on the front of the jug. "OSCAR" is hand-written in large blue letters towards the right-hand side of the leaf design. Above the painted design, closer to the neck, is an impressed stamp for "LANG HOUSE / J. S. MOFFETT / OWEN SOUND / 5". This is not the maker, but the business that used the jug and its gallon capacity. There is a handle.|
|Makers mark||Hand-painted with "OSCAR"|
Made for and used by the Lang House drugstore business at Owen Sound, Grey County in the late 19th-century, apparently when it was operated by J. S. Moffett (between 1883-1885). Dr. John Samuel Moffett later moved to Detroit.
The previous owner, Allan McPhatter, grew up in the Kemble area of Grey County. His wife, the former Bertha Shier, grew up in the Big Bay area of Keppel. They lived for some time in Sydenham Township, Grey County, where they had a general store, but later retired to the Kemble area.
In 1934, Allan McPhatter purchased the Bognor general store. He and his wife and sons Charlie (Charles Wesley McPhatter) and Kenneth moved there on January 1, 1935. Later on, two more children, Melva Muriel McPhatter, and William Malcolm McPhatter were born to the McPhatters.
An advertisement in a December 21, 1885 newspaper announced the sale of drugs, liquors, etc. that were formerly owned by J.S. Moffett.
|Collection||Commercial Equipment Collection|
|Dimensions||H-49.6 Dia-28.3 cm|
|Found||Keppel Township (formerly), Township of Georgian Bluffs, Grey County|
Moffett, J. S.
Lang, A. B.
Owen Sound Business
Owen Sound Businesses
Owen Sound Businesses
Lang House (Drug Store)
|Function||Five-gallon-sized jugs were useful for storing / selling wines or kerosene.|