Museum logo
Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID # 2004.006.006
Object Name Case, Binoculars
Title Militia Officer's Binocular Case (c. 1885)
Lexicon category 5: T&E For Science & Technology
Date c.1885
Made Unknown
Place of Origin Unknown
Description Militia officer's binocular case. The leather, open-topped pouch part that held them is darkly-coloured (blackish) tanned leather. There is an ornate Royal Cypher of VR applique on the front side (this dates it as being issued in Queen Victoria's reign--Victoria Regina). The underside has a slit strap that fits on a post fastener. There are brass fittings / connections.

See RELATED military items re Telford and the 31st Greys.
Makers mark None
Provenance Unknown manufacturer, possibly a British military outfitter. Belonged to and was used by Lieut. James P. Telford (an officer of the 31st Grey Battalion). He became a Major in 1887. He served continuously in the Canadian Militia for 38 years. He was later Lt.-Colonel of the 31st Grey Regiment, from 1894 to 1900.

The next owner of the item, a grandson (Major Murray Telford) photographed the binocular case and used it as an illustration in his book FROM SCARLET TO GREEN: THE COLOURS, UNIFORMS AND INSIGNIA OF THE GREY AND SIMCOE FORESTERS, 1987 (the book also includes an image of J. P. Telford, and it provides information about the militia groups that preceded the formation of the Grey & Simcoe Foresters). Murray Telford suggested in his caption that the binocular case is c. 1885.

The last owner was Murray's wife, Dorothy A. Telford of Owen Sound.
Collection Military, 19th-c Collection
Material Leather/Brass
Dimensions W-12 L-16 D-5.5 cm
Found Owen Sound, Grey County
People Telford, James P.
Telford, Dorothy A.
Telford, Murray
Subjects Binoculars
Military officers
Military leadership
Military intelligence
Militias
Military uniforms
Search Terms Victorian
31st Grey Battalion of Infantry
Annan (Dunedin)
Function A case for military binoculars that would be worn by a militia officer, circa 1885. This example belonged to Lieutenant James P. Telford (he became a Major in 1887), who served with the 31st Grey Battalion.