|Object ID #||1993.037.001|
|Title||UEL Etched Window|
|Lexicon category||1: Structures|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
|Description||United Empire Loyalist (U.E.L.) etched window - The frame is wooden, with four pieces joined. The top wooden piece's top edge is slightly rounded. There are two slotted screws at the sides of the frame's bottom. The window glass is held in place [shimmed] with triangular tin snips. The window glass is frosted/etched on one side only. The design has a Greek Key-style border, with quatrefoil flower motifs in the corners of the border design. Centrally, there is an ornate decoration, including one circular design incorporating an entwined "UEL" [United Empire Loyalists]. There is no maker's identification seen.|
Maker unknown. Was once installed at a hall somewhere in the Heathcote / Beaver Valley area of Grey County.
In 1849, the Prentice and Devins families, who had formerly farmed at the Humber and were U.E.L., moved up to this area. It is unknown if they brought the window with them or if it was obtained after they moved here. Sometime around 1900, the hall was torn down, and this window was salvaged by the grandfather of Mr. Percy Prentice of Clarksburg [Collingwood Township, Grey County]. The window was passed down to Percy Prentice, who, as he got older, gave it to John Prentice, whose grandfather was Percy's grandfather's brother.
In an 1890 directory, there are two Prentices listed: Jacob Prentice of Lot 23, Concession 12, Collingwood Township, who closest post office was at Heathcote, and Levi Prentice of Lot 31, Concession 11, Collingwood Township, whose closest post office was Clarksburg.
|Collection||Architectural Items Collection|
|Dimensions||W-17.126 L-32.283 inches|
|Found||Collingwood, Simcoe County|
United Empire Loyalists
United Empire Loyalists (U.E.L.)