|Object ID #||2004.006.004|
|Title||19th-c Box Spur (for a Left Boot)|
|Lexicon category||7: Distribution & Transportation Artifact|
|Year Range from||1863|
|Year Range to||1891|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
Boot spur (called a box spur), intended for a left boot, made of brass and steel. It is a 19th-century item that belonged to a militia officer. It is plain-looking, with no decoration. The wheel pivots and projects just slightly (not as dangerous looking as some spurs look). LEFT is impress-stamped in the middle on the steel piece. It looks like this steel tang was inserted into the heel. This is confirmed by a military archivist, Timothy Dube. He said it would fit directly on to the heel of the boot, without straps. No maker's identification is present (suggests it pre-dates 1891).
Unknown manufacturer, likely a military outfitter. It belonged to, and was used by a militia officer, James Pattison Telford, of Annan, Sydenham Township, Grey County. He received his Lieutenant's commission in 1863. He served in the Canadian militia with the 31st Grey Battalion for 38 years. He commanded the 31st Battalion from 1894-1900 when he was Lieutenant-Colonel Telford. He and his family had moved from Annan to Owen Sound in 1887.
After 1933, the item was passed down to a grandson, Murray McCallum Telford (d. 1990).
The last owner was Murray's wife, Dorothy A. Telford.
|Collection||Military, 19th-c Collection|
|Dimensions||H-2.2 W-7.5 L-11.6 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
Telford, James P.
Telford, Dorothy A.
31st Grey Battalion of Infantry
|Function||One of a pair of items that were purchased by a militia officer. They were designed to fit into the man's boots, and would be worn when he was on horseback. The spur had belonged to a Grey County militia officer who lived in Sydenham Township. He served continuously in the Canadian militia for 38 years (he received his commission in 1863 with the Leith Rifles).|