|Object ID #||1957.030.003|
|Object Name||Lamp, Carriage|
|Lexicon category||7: Distribution & Transportation Artifact|
|Description||One black-painted, square metal carriage lantern for burning kerosene. See RELATED for its mate.|
The last owner reported that the vehicle that this carriage lamp was used with was purchased by Mr. August Wathke, the father of Enoch Wathke, around 1900. In 1957, the Wathke family was still living on their Crown land farm in Sullivan Township, Grey County. In 1957, the vehicle was brought to the Grey County museum when it was situated at Buchan Manor, Owen Sound, by Lawrence and Stewart Wathke.
"Mr. and Mrs. August Wathke moved up from the Mildmay area and settled on E 1/2 of Lot 13, Concession 13 in 1882. Later they purchased the west half of Lot 13, Concession 12 and moved there [later became Stewart Wathke's home]...The Wathkes had a family of four girls and one boy: Anna [ Mrs. Martin Ruhl], Emma [Mrs. Andrew Sachs], Marie [Mrs. Russel Spencer], Clara [died of the Spanish Influenza epidemic of 1918], and Enoch [who took over the farm in 1922]."
- - - -
THE HISTORY OF SULLIVAN TOWNSHIP, 1850-1975, p. 300.
|Collection||Transportation, Horses & Equipment Collection|