|Object ID #||1956.001.008abcdef|
|Object Name||Kitchen, Play|
|Title||1860s? Doll Dish Set|
|Lexicon category||9: Recreational Artifacts|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
Child's terracotta-coloured (red), floral-moulded ceramic doll dishes, 1860s? A. Saucer: This item is 9 cm in diameter, and 2 cm high. The obverse has a central flat area surrounded with a moulded floral decoration and pebbling. No manufacturer's identification seen.
B. Tea Cup: Slightly flaring lip, plain, applied handle, moulded and pebbled decoration, 4.9 cm diameter and height of 3.2 cm.
C. Saucer: It is like "A"., 9.1 cm in diameter, 1.8 cm in height.
D. Tea Cup: It is like "B", 4.9 cm diameter, height of 2.9 cm.
E. Saucer: This saucer is similar to "A" and "C", but its moulding is less distinct. Its diameter is 8.6 cm, and its height is 1.7 cm, making is slightly smaller than the other two.
F. Sugar Bowl: There is a bulbous bowl with moulded floral decoration on two sides, height of 3.5 cm and a top diameter of 3.5 cm.
The set belonged to Miss Maria Maughan of Owen Sound, (b. July 31, 1860) who later became Mrs. John Armstrong.
Therefore, they are likely from the mid-1860s?
In the 1881 Census of Owen Sound, in the section of town enumerated by Simon Parke, Maria Maughan is listed with her siblings and mother. In 1881 she was 20 years of age. The Maughan family had an English origin.
Maria's parents were Joseph Maughan and Mary Buchan [a daughter of Walter Buchan, who built "Buchan Manor" at Owen Sound]. Joseph's sister was Mrs. George Snider, and the Maughan family lived with the Sniders for about two years while their house on the west hill was being built next door. Maria was born before the Maughan cottage was built. She spent a lot of her young life taking care of her aunt, Mrs. Snider, who had virtually adopted the Maughan children. Maria attended the Owen Sound high school in the late 1870s, but found that she could not enter the University of Toronto, as they offered no courses for women. She became a local teacher before her marriage to Mr. John Armstrong in the 1880s. The Armstrongs lived at the Snider residence and Mr. Armstrong became a law partner with W.P. Telford Jr. Later on, Mr. Armstrong became Crown Attorney. Maria was involved in many Owen Sound organizations in her lifetime.
|Collection||Toys & Games, 19th-c Collection|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
Armstrong, John & Maria