|Object ID #||1997.021.001|
|Object Name||Jug, Whiskey|
|Title||Henry Le Pan & Co. Jug|
|Lexicon category||5: T&E For Science & Technology|
|Year Range from||1875|
|Year Range to||1904|
|Made||Henry LePan & Co.|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
|Description||Stoneware whiskey jug. The jug has a greyish-cream-coloured glaze and is stamped in blue with "FROM / H. LEPAN & CO. / WHOLESALE & RETAIL / WINE & LIQUOR MERCHANTS / OWEN SOUND". There is no pottery identification present. The jug is a one gallon-sized jug.|
|Makers mark||No pottery identification|
The pottery of origin is unknown, but the jug was made for the Henry Le Pan & Co. store of Owen Sound, Grey County. This store was a wholesale and retail wine and liquor store. It is unknown who owned the jug before the last owner, Roy Pether, obtained it.
There were no stoneware potters in Grey County, just earthenware potters, so this jug was likely made elsewhere in Ontario. May be a Brantford piece.
An 1894 source listed "LePan, H. & Co....Liquors", as an Owen Sound, Ontario business that was established in 1875 (THE LEGAL AND COMMERCIAL EXCHANGE (MERCANTILE AGENCY) OF CANADA, Jan. 1894).
The 1881 Census of Owen Sound listed Henry LePan as age 36. He was born in Ontario, was Church of England, of Irish origin and listed as a Merchant. Frederick D'Orr LePan (age 61, son of Frenchman) was a Merchant at the same time in Owen Sound. Were they father and son? They are buried together at Greenwood Cemetery.
Earlier on, circa 1865, Frederick Le Pan was County Treasurer. Frederick Le Pan was born in Ireland, but lived for a while in Louisiana.
According to a book called OUR DOMINION (1887): "H. LePan, Dealer in Groceries, Provisions, Wines and Liquors, Poulett Street--Prominent among those identified with the grocery and liquor trade of Owen Sound is Mr. H. LePan. This gentleman began business here some 15 years ago and has since built up one of the largest and finest trades in the town. He occupies spacious premises that are well fitted up, being specially adapted to the business carried on, and his large and well assorted stock comprises full lines of staple and fancy groceries, provisions, and wines and liquors, of which a specialty is made. Mr. LePan imports his wines, brandies and gins, and secures his whiskies direct from the distilleries. He also deals largely in flour and feed, and in crockery and glassware, and is an exclusively cash buyer. His facilities are unrivalled, and in addition to a large and representative local trade, he carries on a large jobbing trade, principally in wine and liquors, extending to the upper lakes. Mr. Le Pan, who is a native of the United States, is an energetic, enterprising and thorough man of business, and is widely known and highly esteemed both socially and otherwise."
The Rutherford's Directory of Owen Sound (1892) listed: "LePan, H. & Co....Wholesale Wines and Liquors" at 89 Poulett St. (now a 2nd Ave. East address). At that time, Henry LePan lived at the Paterson House Hotel.
Henry Le Pan is buried in Greenwood Cemetery at Owen Sound and his death year is 1916.
In the 1902-1904 Vernon's Directory of Owen Sound, Henry Le Pan was boarding at the Seldon House hotel and the wine and liquor business was still in operation at 89 Poulett St.
|Collection||Commercial Equipment Collection|
|Dimensions||H-25.5 Dia-13 cm|
|Found||Thornbury, Town of the Blue Mountains, Grey County|
Owen Sound Businesses
Owen Sound Business
Stores & shops
Owen Sound Businesses
H. Le Pan & Co. (Owen Sound)
|Function||A re-usable container, that was originally custom-made for a wine and liquors merchant to use.|