|Object ID #||2004.006.003|
|Object Name||Flask, Powder|
|Lexicon category||5: T&E For Science & Technology|
|Year Range to||1891|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
Pressed metal gunpowder flask, 19th-century, with a teardrop-shaped body. There is an ornate pressed design is present on both sides. No maker's logo or name seen. The body is a dark greyish metal, while the nozzle end is brass.
Unknown manufacturer (pre-dates 1891 as it lacks a country of origin mark).
It belonged to and was used by a militia officer, James Pattison Telford, of Annan, Sydenham Township, Grey County. He received his Lieutenant's commission in 1863. He served in the Canadian militia with the 31st Grey Battalion for 38 years. He commanded the 31st Battalion from 1894-1900 when he was Lieutenant-Colonel Telford. J. P. Telford was an avid hunter and fisherman, and also was proficient as a marksman. He also was a long-serving Canadian Miltiia officer of the 31st Grey Battalion. He and his family had moved to Owen Sound in 1887.
After 1933, the item was passed down to a grandson, Murray McCallum Telford (d. 1990).
The last owner was Murray's wife, Dorothy A. Telford.
|Collection||Firearms & Accoutrements, 19th-c Collection|
|Dimensions||W-9 L-17.9 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
Telford, James P.
Telford, Dorothy A.
The flask was intended to store and dispense black powder for a muzzleloaded firearm.