|Object ID #||1959.046.001|
|Object Name||Box, Candle|
|Title||Inglis Family's Tin Candle Box|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
Tinware candlebox for storing hand-made tallow candles. It is painted with "Candle Box", although the metal is so dark or darkened that it is now hard to see the lettering.
Belonged to Mr. and Mrs. Peter Inglis, who settled at what would become known as Inglis Falls, Derby Township, Grey County, in the mid-1840s. Mr. Inglis (1813-1901) was a millwright and mill operator.
Last owned by their grand-daughter, A. Amy Kennedy of Owen Sound. She lived for 19 years at Inglis Falls in the house that later belonged to Victor Inglis. Her mother had been Helen Inglis, who married Thomas Kennedy of Owen Sound. Thomas Kennedy died in 1878.
|Collection||Household Equipment, 19th-c Collection|
|Found||Derby Twp., Grey County, Ontario|
|Function||A candle box (sometimes called a "candle safe") was an item designed to hang on a wall in one's house or cabin. Hand-made tallow candles had a tendency to bend, so you needed a horizontal storage space for them until they were needed. They also were nibbled on by rodents if they were stored in the open. Eventually as coal oil lamps became more prevalent, people didn't need to make tallow candles anymore.|