|Object ID #||1957.024.029|
|Object Name||Scarf, Bureau|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Place of Origin||Sydenham Township (formerly), Municipality of Meaford, Grey County|
Rectangular pincushion cover (for a dresser's pin cushion). The runner-style item is rectangular and made of an off-white fabric with gold-coloured thread woven in (closely-spaced at the top and bottom, and widely-spaced in the center). The design is worked in green thread and has a vine and flower. The vine has been given tendrils, worked in beige thread. Very fine bobbin lace has been sewn around the cloth as a border. The lace has a scalloped edge with triangular patterns in it.
The pincushion cover belonged to Mrs. Helen (Reid) Carrie, the wife of Gideon Carrie, or their daughter Mrs. Jessie (Carrie) McQuaker? The Carrie family farmed in Sydenham Township, Grey County. Some of the family later lived in Owen Sound, Grey County. Jessie was married to John McQuaker in Sydenham Township in 1889. The McQuakers moved to Owen Sound in 1896. During the First World War, Mrs. Jessie McQuaker knit socks for the war effort when she resided in Owen Sound. She died in 1956, age 91.
|Collection||Textiles, Household Linens Collection|
|Dimensions||W-48.5 L-16.2 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
|Function||A textile item used to protect and decorate a dresser's top surface or to place as a decorative cover on a somewhat rectangular (bolster-style) pincushion that would be kept on a lady's dresser to hold her pins, brooches, and hatpins.|