|Object ID #||1957.006.001|
|Title||Model of the 1840s Government House|
|Lexicon category||8: Communication Artifact|
|Place of Origin||Owen Sound, Grey County|
This is a folk art model of the 1840s log "Government House" that was at the Village of Sydenham.
The model of the 1840s Government House at Owen Sound, Upper Canada, was made by Mr. John Capel, who was a retired Industrial Arts teacher who had taught at Dufferin School, in Owen Sound, Ontario.
He is listed in A HISTORY OF DUFFERIN SCHOOL 1889-1973, on page 28 as teaching Industrial Arts at Dufferin from 1924 until 1956. Page 22 mentions that when he arrived in 1924, Mr. Capel had formerly been an employee at the Owen Sound Collegiate Institute. He succeeded a Mr. Fred A. Campbell at Dufferin. Mr. Capel was very interested in sports, and coached a rugby team in Owen Sound. In addition to woodworking, he also taught useful home repairs in his classes.
|Collection||Folk Art Collection|
|Dimensions||H-31.3 W-100 L-33 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
Government House (Owen Sound)
|Function||A folk art depiction of a log structure that once existed in Owen Sound. The original structure was built by John Telfer, the government land agent, in the area behind where City Hall is now.|