|Object ID #||1969.030.010|
|Object Name||Chair, Dining|
|Title||Arrowback-Style Kitchen Chair (19th-century)|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Year Range from||1850|
|Year Range to||1860|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
Arrowback-style chair, 19th-c, with a dark brown-painted or stained finish on its wood. The surname BOTHWELL is incised on the underside, and there are paint remnants that suggest that the current finish is not original to it. The chair's two side posts are shaped with a backwards bend, and the plain cresting rail is also curving and bends back somewhat. There are three shaped arrow-style spindles inbetween the two posts. The seat is scooped towards the back. The legs splay a bit and are joined with four plain dowel-style stretchers. The front and back stretchers are positioned higher than the side stretchers. The underside of the chair has two empty holes that suggest that the legs were fixed at some point. There is some green and white paint remnants on the underside.
|Makers mark||Not sure yet if the incised BOTHWELL is the maker's name, or was just added to the chair when it arrived at the museum?|
Maker unknown. Likely was made in the Owen Sound or Sydenham Township area.
Used at "Bothwell's Manor," a 19th-century Victorian farm house owned by George Bothwell and located on the north side of Highway 26 near Hatton's Corners [in the former Sydenham Township Grey County]. This location is just east of Owen Sound, Grey County.
Passed down to Gordon and Viola Bothwell.
|Collection||Furniture, 19th-c Collection|
|Dimensions||H-76.8 W-43.8 L-39.8 cm|
|Found||Sydenham Township (formerly), Municipality of Meaford, Grey County|
Bothwell, George (2)
|Function||Seating for a kitchen.|