|Object ID #||1970.048.002|
|Title||Bevel Gear From Slattery Mill|
|Lexicon category||4: T&E For Materials|
|Year Range from||1880|
|Year Range to||1920|
|Place of Origin||Grey County, likely made at Meaford, Ontario?|
Very heavy, cast iron bevel gear with remnants of wooden cogs (teeth) in it's voids. It has a four-spoked central area and a bevelled, slotted perimeter that holds the wooden cogs (teeth). There does not appear to be any maker's mark present.
|Makers mark||No marks seen, but likely made at the Georgian Foundry at Meaford?|
Used as part of the milling equipment at Slattery's Mill (Lot 30, Concession C, Sydenham Township, Grey County).
Last owned by Joseph D. Slattery.
If the bevel gear originated at the same time as the Barber Turbine item that was also owned by Joseph Slattery, then it would be a pre-1906 item.
See the book HISTORY OF SYDENHAM TOWNSHIP (1967), pp. 552-553 for information about the Slattery mill.
|Collection||Milling Tools & Equipment Collection|
|Found||Sydenham Township (formerly), Municipality of Meaford, Grey County|
|Function||This gear would engage something else in a mill to transfer power from a water power source. The bevel gear drove a smaller gear, which drove the main shaft in a mill's bulkhead.|