|Object ID #||1956.027.001|
|Object Name||Wheel, Spinning|
|Title||Mrs. Young's Walking Wheel|
|Lexicon category||4: T&E For Materials|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
A three-legged, walking wheel spinning wheel. There is a sloping wooden table. It is rectangular- looking, but actually tapers towards the higher end. The spindle area currently has a corn cob placed on it to protect people from walking into the spindle (safety precaution). The Minor's head has a bevelled wooden wheel that has a single groove. Then beside it in continuation is a group of 4 grooves. Two turned maiden-like uprights hold it. The wooden screw tension is very visible, showing the wooden threading. Its tension knob has a single, dark, incised line for decoration. The top side of the table has a width-wise front groove. The table's short ends are decorated with piecrust carving (fluting). The wheel post is turned. The drive wheel has 10 spokes. The spokes are plain-looking, with a slight flare where they meet the rim. The rim is single-grooved for the drive cord. One can see nail heads on the outer side of the rim (nails attach the spokes). The wheel hub is secured with a square-headed forged nail. The legs are turned. No maker's marks or name is present. There is a brown finish on the wood. This spinning wheel belonged to Mrs. Thomas Young (neé Margaret Currie) who passed away in 1892.
|Makers mark||None seen (unsigned wheel)|
The type of head used on it is a "Minor's Head", an innovation developed by Amos Minor in 1810. Maker and location made are unknown.
The spinning wheel belonged to Margaret Young (neé Currie, name recorded as "Mary" in one source), of Sydenham Township, Grey County.
|Collection||Textiles, Spinning & Weaving Tools & Equipment|
|Found||Sydenham Township (formerly), Municipality of Meaford, Grey County|
|Function||This is a spinning wheel intended for spinning wool.|