|Object ID #||1959.058.003|
|Object Name||Manikin, Display|
|Title||Milliner's Display Head Form|
|Lexicon category||5: T&E For Science & Technology|
|Year Range from||1920|
|Year Range to||1930|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
|Description||This is a painted plaster milliner's female head, with imitation bobbed hair (or whatever wig fits) and "bee-stung" red lips. There are "pencil-thin" painted brows, wide eyes with long painted lashes, blue eyes with large black pupils, and the head has depressed cheek lines moulded. This head form dates from the 1920s and was formerly used at the McKay Brothers Drygoods store at Owen Sound, Ontario. The form is hollow and lightweight, and has painted features. We have used various wigs over her head, so her appearance changes in images. See RELATED for other items pertinent to the McKay Brothers store.|
The previous owner, Mr. James B. McKay, was the owner of the McKay Bros. Limited drygoods store at 942 2nd Ave. East, Owen Sound, Ontario, circa 1959. McKay Bros. had retained an old-fashioned appearance inside its store, and had wax heads inside wood and glass display case counters. The clerks also used a money monorail device which was very interesting to watch. The female head form was likely manufactured and obtained in the 1920s, as she has the fashionable look of that decade, and she was likely used for displaying a cloche hat and scarves.
The McKay brothers came to Owen Sound in 1905 (another source says 1883) and established their dry goods business on Main St. (Poulett St.). In 1923, they bought the building that had previously belonged to their competitor, Ryan's Dry Goods (942 2nd Ave. East). The McKay Bros. store was sold in 1989.
|Collection||Commercial Equipment Collection|
|Dimensions||H-36 Cir-63 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
Owen Sound Business
Owen Sound Businesses
|Function||It would be used to display a hat and perhaps a scarf, and likely would have been kept inside a glass display case for the most part, as it is a fragile item.|