|Object ID #||1959.002.017|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Year Range from||1900|
|Year Range to||1910|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
|Description||Blue-green moulded ceramic jardiniere (planter), circa 1906. The base has "Royal" impressed into it. There is a curlicue embossed design concentrated near rim but expands down to base at certain areas. It has a scalloped rim.|
|Makers mark||Maker's mark is impessed.|
Owned by Mary Ann (Minnie) Givens (neé McKay), who lived in the Massie District, Holland Township,Grey County.
Minnie married James Givens in July of 1898. Minnie & James farmed in Holland Township and are buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Owen Sound.
James R. Givens was born in 1875 and died in 1958. Minnie was born in 1871 and died in 1950.
Next owned by Jean Reid (neé Givens), their daughter, who married William Reid. Jean was born in 1899 and died in 1991.
Their daughter remembered it being used circa 1906.
|Collection||Household Equipment, 20th-c Collection|
|Dimensions||H-19.8 Dia-23.7 cm|
|Found||Massie, Township of Chatsworth, Grey County|
|Function||Intended to hold a potted plant indoors. In the early 20th-century, a popular item for parlour areas was a jardiniere stand (with a large jardiniere pot to hold a live plant in (e.g. a fern).|