|Object ID #||1957.018.004|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
A small hand bellows. It is made up of two spade-shaped wooden boards, joined together with dark tanned leather that has several folds in it. The leather is attached to the boards with a series of iron nails closely set together. The spout is also made of iron, and is secured firmly with additional leather and nails. It has a lip of about 1 cm. The sideboards likely were made of hardwood (perhaps walnut-dyed oak?) There is an open circle in the bottom board which lets the air in, and there is a double line scored around this hole. A piece of tan-coloured string tied to handle allows one to hang it up on a wall on a nail. There is no maker's identification.
|Provenance||The hand bellows likely belonged to either the Lister family or the Miller family of Owen Sound in the 19th-century. It later belonged to Mary Miller who worked as a kindergarten teacher in Owen Sound. "Mary Miller Park" is named after her. She resided at 1584 7th Ave. East. Her father was _______ Miller. Her paternal grandparents were Mr. and Mrs. George S. Miller, and her maternal grandparents were Rev. and Mrs. Charles J. Lister.|
|Collection||Heating Equipment Collection|
|Dimensions||W-19.5 L-44.5 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
Miller, George S.
Lister, Rev. Charles J.