|Object ID #||1992.027.017|
|Lexicon category||7: Distribution & Transportation Artifact|
|Year Range from||1908|
|Year Range to||1919|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
Automobile Crank. It is basically a solid, bent metal rod, with a pin at one end. There is no manufacturer's information present.
Owned by and used at the Dornoch, Grey County garage owned by J. Leonard Walsh. J. Leonard Walsh operated his garage at Dornoch, Ontario in the 1930s and 1940s. He was an Imperial Oil representative, starting in the 1920s.
Passed to his nephew, Patrick Sweeney, who used to assist his uncle in the garage.
|Collection||Transportation, Automobiles & Equipment Collection|
|Dimensions||H-27 L-80 D-2 cm|
|Found||Dornoch, Municipality of West Grey, Grey County|
Walsh, J. Leonard
|Subjects||Automobile equipment & supplies|
|Function||Model T Fords used to have hand cranks to start them with. The Ford Model T (also known as the Tin Lizzie ) was an automobile produced by Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company from 1908 through 1927. Most of their cars sold after 1919 were equipped with electric starting, so this crank likely pre-dates then. Although it was superseded by the Model A Ford, the Model T continued in use for a long time in the 20th-century. People often did their own home repairs on their Model Ts. Would this crank have been a Model T item, or did it belong to a different make of car?|