Museum logo
Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID # 1955.012.002abcdef
Object Name Stand, Cruet
Title Cruet Stand
Lexicon category 4: T&E For Materials
Made Logo needs identification yet
Description Victorian silverplated cruet stand (a) with five glass cruets (b to f).
A. Stand - a "Lazy Susan"-style revolving stand. One section has five holes in it for holding the cruets. The sides of this piece are decorated with impressed, repeated floral designs. The base also has these designs. The holder part is supported by five spokes. The casted handle structure is very ornate. It has a pewter-look to it, and a stylized floral decoration. The stand does not have a manufacturer's name stamped word-wise, but there is an impressed logo which has lettering near it saying "Guaranteed Fine Silver Plate Extra Finish".

B. & D. Salt & Pepper Shakers - They are 19 cm high and silver-topped. The glass bottles have silver collars, which receive the screw-on castor caps. The caps have finials in their central area.

C. Mustard or Sugar Container - It is 15.5 cm high and has a hinged silver lid with a finial. The glass container part does not have a neck like the other items (mustard pots tended to be squat and cylindrical in shape).

E. & F. Cruets - These two glass cruets would be for either vinegar or oil. They have stoppers of clear, faceted glass. There is a flanged lip and "thumb" cuts around the neck. There is a two-seamed, pressed glass body joined to a short, cylindrical, plain base.

All of the glass items are free-standing when removed from the stand and each has an indistinct etched design on them.
Makers mark The stand has an impressed logo which has lettering near it saying "Guaranteed Fine Silver Plate Extra Finish"
Provenance This item was last used at the Charles Husband household in the hamlet of Kemble, Grey County.

Mr. Charles Husband (b. 1864-d. 1954), had a son, Arthur Husband, who had served overseas during the First World War.

The Husband family is recorded in the book BEAUTIFUL STONEY KEPPEL (1986), see page 352. Charles Husband had purchased the Kemble blacksmith shop in 1888.

The family is also listed in the 1901 Census of Keppel Township:
They were at Pt. Lot 40, and Lot 41, Concession 19:
Husband, Charles...b. June 9, 1864, age 36, b. Ontario, Methodist, Blacksmith. His wife was Mary Husband, b. May 11, 1866. Their son, Arthur C. Husband was born October 25, 1889 and was then 11 years old. Their daughter Eliza G. Husband was born October14, 1891 and was 9 years old. A blacksmith apprentice named Wm. G. Grant, age 22, resided with them.

Arthur Husband was drowned in the Nipigon River in August of 1920. Arthur, after completing the study of medicine in Toronto had enlisted in the First World War and went overseas, receiving a commission. After the war he had returned to his medical studies, and worked as a fire ranger and trapper during the summer. Arthur Clifford Husband's death registration says that his date of death was August 24, 1920. He died at Virgin Falls, Ontario, age 30, 11 mos., and that he was a medical student.

The first Mrs. Charles Husband was formerly Miss Mary Fraser, of Sydenham Township (daughter of Thomas Fraser). She died not long after her son's death. The second Mrs. Charles Husband was Alice Gilbert, formerly of Lockport, New York.



Collection Food Service Tools & Equipment
Material Metal/Silver/Glass
Dimensions H-41 cm
Found Kemble, Ontario
People Husband, Charles
Function A cruet stand (dinner caster) was kept on a dining table in order to decoratively store condiment containers, yet keep them accessible for diners