|Object ID #||1959.046.002|
|Title||19th-Century Flour Scoop|
|Lexicon category||10: Unclassifiable Artifacts|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
|Description||Large tin plated flour scoop, 19th-c. No maker's identification on it. The handle is a rounded tin one that tapers and then widens near where it is attached to the scoop. The handle tip is capped with a round piece of tin. The scoop's back has a round piece of tin with a rolled edge soldered to the cover and bottom. The cover is a bent sheet of tin that is embossed with three ridges and which has a rolled rim (as does the bottom, which has rounded edges and is fastened to the cover with two rivets on each side).|
The previous owner, Miss Amy Kennedy, estimated that the scoop might be from the 1850s or 1860s. It originally belonged to her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Inglis. The Inglis family settled at what would eventually be known as Inglis Falls, Derby Township, circa 1845. The last owner's mother, Mrs. Thomas Kennedy, was formerly Miss Helen Inglis (d. 1924, age 77).
Mr. Peter Inglis was a millwright and owned and operated the mills at Inglis Falls. He provided much-needed flour to the new settlers in the area.
Miss A. Amy Kennedy, resided at 240 8th Street West, Owen Sound in 1959. She had formerly lived for 19 years at Inglis Falls at the house that later belonged to Victor Inglis.
|Collection||Household Equipment, 19th-c Collection|
|Dimensions||H-12.6 W-13.5 L-31 cm|
|Found||Derby Township (formerly), Township of Georgian Bluffs, Grey County|
|Subjects||Flour & meal industry|
|Function||A household scoop for moving quantities of flour from a large container or bag to one's baking board or mixing bowl. In its day, flour was purchased in 100 pound bag quantities.|