|Object ID #||2013.043.022|
|Object Name||Weight, Hitching|
|Other Name||Weight, Tie|
|Title||Sleigh Tie-Down Made at Keady|
|Lexicon category||7: Distribution & Transportation Artifact|
|Year Range from||1894|
|Year Range to||1900|
|Artist||James Henry Jackson|
|Made||Jackson, James Henry (Jim)|
|Place of Origin||Keady, Township of Georgian Bluffs, Grey County|
|Description||Cast iron sleigh tie-down item. It has remnants of an orange-red finish, and is cast with the lettering: "J. H. / JACKSON / KEADY / ONT". The other side is cast with "PATD / 94". Its oval-shaped base has three bolt holes in it, and was meant to be secured to another object. It has a tapered shank with four holes of graduated size and a rectangular slot. Two pivoting iron rings are located at one side of the shank.|
|Makers mark||One side is cast "J. H. / JACKSON / KEADY / ONT", while the other side is cast with "PATD / 94" (patented 1894).|
Manufactured by James Jackson in Keady, Grey County. Dates to the 1890s.
James Jackson, who was also known as J. H. or Jim Jackson, was born in 1853. He was a mechanic and blacksmith in Keady, Grey County. He invented and manufactured items such as this one, which he patented in 1894. The Jackson family moved away from Grey County between 1901 and 1906, and relocated out west.
Last owned by Norman Playter of Owen Sound, Grey County. He likely obtained it at a public auction in Grey County.
|Collection||Transportation, Horses & Equipment Collection|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
Jackson, James Henry
Grey County Industry
|Function||Sleigh tie-down item.|