|Object ID #||1959.069.001|
|Title||Ironstone China Mug|
|Lexicon category||4: T&E For Materials|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
An ironstone china mug with a Lily of the Valley design molded into the side. There is also a sprig molded on the other exterior side. It is a glazed white mug. There is no maker's mark. It was donated along with a matching mug.
Previously owned by Miss Jessie Ross, formerly lived in Sydenham Township, in the Leith area. She said that this cup, and a matching one, originally belonged to Mr. William Burr of Leith. The 1901 census of Sydenham Township listed the James F. Burr family at Lot 36, Concession C. They had a son named William L. Burr (then aged 3, born January 28, 1898). James F. Burr was born in 1853, and his wife, Jessie H. Burr, was born in 1872. They were a farming family.
There also was a Willie Burr who had attended Leith's first school in the 1850s. There was also an Annie Burr and James Burr who attended. (Ross, Allan, REMINISCENCES OF NORTH SYDENHAM, 1924, pp. 146, 177.)
The lack of a pottery mark suggests that it is a 19th-century item, that pre-dates the late 1890s, so it likely had belonged to William's parents before he had it, and perhaps the older "Willie Burr" before then (an uncle?)
The last owner, Miss Jessie Ross, was residing in Owen Sound, Grey County at the time of the donation in 1959.
Her father had been Mr. William Ross, who lived at "Rossmoyne", near Leith, Sydenham Township, Grey County. He died in 1913. His daughters, the Misses Elizabeth and Jessie Ross, had continued to live on at the Ross family homestead after their mother passed away in 1917.
Mr. and Mrs. William Ross were married on June 10, 1863. Mrs. Ross was the former Margaret Telford (born in Scotland, a daughter of Wm P. Telford (1797-1879) & Elizabeth Murray Telford).
The last owner, Miss Jessie Ross, died in her 87th year in February of 1961. She was survived by her brother, John Ross, who at that time was living in Alberni, B.C.
|Collection||Food Service Tools & Equipment|
|Dimensions||L-12.1 D-9.5 Dia-9.5 cm|
|Found||Grey County, Ontario|