|Object ID #||1956.015.001|
|Object Name||Shot, Solid|
|Title||Twelve-Pounder Armstrong Shot (1866)|
|Lexicon category||5: T&E For Science & Technology|
|Description||A large grey (lead-coated steel) projectile, that reportedly was shot from a cannon on the East hill area of Owen Sound, Ontario and later found across the bay in Brooke. The eastside of Owen Sound used to have a miltary reserve and "Battery" with a couple cannons long ago. There was a 1910s postcard produced that showed the cannon still in place (see 1963.015.015 in the archives). Examination of the item by an expert in 2015 suggests it was not actually used as there are no rifling scars on its exterior. The stampings on it suggest a date of July, 1866. The grooved area is also a feature of Armstrong shot rounds.|
Previously owned by Aubrey Holmes, who was a son of George Holmes, an Owen Sound, Grey County photographer. Owen Sound had a couple of Military Reserves created when it was surveyed in the 1850s. An old postcard view (early 20th-century) has been seen showing display cannon on the east hill area. They no longer exist, and it is unknown what happened to them.
Brooke was originally surveyed as the Town plot of Brookeholm in 1857, after the Newash Ojibwa were moved away from the Newash Reserve. The area was slow to develop, due to speculation, but eventually became a residential area. Brooke was annexed to Owen Sound in 1909.
|Found||Brookeholme (Brooke) area of Owen Sound, Grey County|
Arms & armament
|Function||The item is a shot round that was intended to be used in conjunction with a 12-pounder Armstrong gun (a breech-loaded cannon). It is dated July, 1866. In addition to having cannon displayed on the east hill area of Owen Sound, there were also a couple cannons displayed by the Owen Sound War Memorial when it was new (1920+). In one of Melba Croft's books (likely the 1920 or 1921 one), she mentions that townspeople were upset at hearing that cannons from Owen Sound were sent to Penetanguishene. A number of old 19th-century British cannons also had been distributed to different locales in Ontario.|