Museum logo
Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID # 1955.012.017ab
Object Name Mask, Gas
Title First World War German Gas Mask & Carrying Case
Lexicon category 5: T&E For Science & Technology
Date c. 1918?
Year Range from 1914
Year Range to 1918
Made Unknown
Place of Origin Germany
Description German gas mask (A) and its cylindrical metal and twill tape carrying case (B). The mask and respirator is stencilled with "2" below the yellowish goggle-like eye protectors. The eye protectors are celluloid pieces, with round metal rims. The mask has a cylindrical metal respirator. There is fabric and thread used in the mask area. The carrying case has a dull finish (intentional, as one did not want the sun to glint off metal and show one's position to the enemy). The flat round lid is metal-linked to the canister so that it would not get lost in the field. This set was a war-time souvenir brought home by Arthur Husband. They are from the First World War.
Makers mark Black-stencilled "2" below the eyes of the mask
There is black-printed information on a paper piece glued inside the canister (needs translation)
Provenance This German-issued gas mask was a souvenir of the Great War (later called the First World War, 1914-1918). Collected by Arthur Clifford Husband (of Kemble) who served overseas in World War I. Brought back to Grey County in 1919 when he returned from the war.

Subsequently owned by his mother, Mary Husband (neé Fraser) who died not long after her son's death. Last owned by Alice Husband (neé Gilbert), the second wife of Charles Husband (Arthur's father).

Collection Military, 20th-c Collection
Material Metal/Fabric/Celluloid/Thread/Paper/Ink
Dimensions Dia-12.2 inches
Found Kemble, Township of Georgian Bluffs, Grey County
People Husband, Charles

Husband, Arthur
Subjects Germany
World War I (First World War/The Great War)
Gas masks
Gas warfare
Function The German forces first employed gas attacks on ......., 19... [April, 1915?] Some people survived the gas attacks, but it caused severe damage to respiratory tracts, and also, many fellows were blinded or scarred. Some fellows who were "gassed" recovered enough that they would later be sent back into the fighting.