|Object ID #||1959.046.012|
|Lexicon category||7: Distribution & Transportation Artifact|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
A glazed, beige-coloured crock. Its pottery of origin is not known. It appears to be a 19th-century item. It has a cylindrical body, an angled shoulder, and a darker-glazed inner rim.
The crockery jar belonged to either the Peter Inglis family or the William Kennedy family in the 19th-century. It later was passed down to a grand-daughter, who lived at Inglis Falls and Owen Sound, Grey County. She told museum staff that she remembered it being called a pickle jar.
Peter Inglis (1813-1901) and his wife Ann emigrated from Fifeshire, Scotland in 1843. They purchased the mill-setup at the head of the Sydenham River in 1845 and used the water power of what became known as "Inglis Falls" in Derby Township, located south of Owen Sound. The other possibility for the ownership of the crock was the William Kennedy & Agnes (Stark) Kennedy family of Owen Sound, Ontario. The Kennedy family had moved to several places in Canada West before they ended up in Owen Sound, Canada West, in the 1850s. William Kennedy (d. 1885) was a millwright and established a foundry and planing mill business in town.
|Collection||Food Service Tools & Equipment|
|Dimensions||H-17.1 Dia-12.2 cm|
|Found||Derby Township (formerly), Township of Georgian Bluffs, Grey County|
Kennedy, William (Senior)
|Function||The jar likely had a lid originally and was used in a kitchen or pantry area in the past. The family that owned it referred to it as a "pickle jar".|