|Object ID #||1955.004.001abc|
|Title||Insect Trap Brought From Scotland|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Place of Origin||Scotland?|
Glass and wooden fly trap, from Scotland, mid-19th-century. This insect trap has a blown glass, bottle-like, clear glass part. The top of the "bottle" is sheared off. Inside the glass is a circular glass wall. The glass has bubble imperfections, suggesting age. The base is wooden. There is an outer rim and a separate section attached to the main base with wire. The top of the trap is stoppered with a turned wooden stopper that has red knitted material around the part that inserts into the hole at the neck of the "bottle". There is no maker's identification present.
Belonged to Mrs. Thomas Armstrong, who reportedly brought it with her from Scotland. Mrs. Armstrong lived in the Annan area of Sydenham Township, Grey County.
In 1850, Mr. Thomas Armstrong purchased a burial plot at Annan.
Another source on Sydenham Township reads "Tom Armstrong, his wife and two sons, came out from Dumfrieshire, Scotland, in the year 1851. They lived on the Lake Shore [east side of Owen Sound Bay] for one year. In 1852, they got fifty acres from the Crown, which was all bush. Here, they built a log house and barn on the east side of the road below the rock. In the year 1874, they built a stone house on the west side of the road. A barn was built before the house.
There were 100 acres by then, 50 at the rock and 50 where the house and barn were located. Later more land was obtained and the farm became 200 acres. In 1967, the farm consisted of the N.E. 1/4 of Lot 23, Concession 7, and Lot 23, Concession 6, Sydenham."
|Collection||Household Equipment, 19th-c Collection|
|Dimensions||H-21 Dia-15.9 cm|
|Found||Sydenham Township (formerly), Municipality of Meaford, Grey County|
|Function||A syrup or sweet substance would be put on the wooden saucer-like base and covered with the glass part. Insects would get inside the glass, but not be able to escape because of the stopper.|