|Object ID #||1990.021.017|
|Lexicon category||6: T&E For Communication|
|Credit line||In Memory of Edwin Miller|
|Year Range from||1925|
|Year Range to||1930|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
Horn-style radio speaker, 1925 (patent). Black colour finish on the metal. The speaker can be dismantled by loosening its knurled thumb screws. The interior of the bell of the horn is decorated with some butterfly decals. The item has a length of brown fabric-covered wire attached to its pedestal-style base. Some green felt on the underside of the base prevented damage to whatever it was sat upon. It likely was used in conjunction with the radio receiver.
Formerly owned by Caroline and John Miller. Caroline's parents were Jacob and Elizabetha Ruppenthal. The Millers lived in a farm house south of Hanover, in Normanby Township, Grey County.
Last owned by Dorothy Miller (neé Miller), who was married to Edwin Miller, a brother of the last two occupants of the Miller farmhouse. They were twin brothers, Noah and Aaron Miller.
|Collection||Telecommunication Equipment Collection|
|Found||Normanby Township (formerly), Municipality of West Grey, Grey County|
This is a table-top-style radio speaker. It would be used in conjunction with a radio receiver. It was formerly used in a Grey County, Ontario farmhouse.
"The earliest attempts at loudspeakers began with simple radio sets, which were able to supply only enough audio power to operate headphones. They involved combining the electro-dynamic diaphragm of the head phone with a resonance horn similar to that of a gramophone's. With a good signal, the resulting device meant the difference between one person only listening to the radio, or several persons at close proximity in a quiet room doing the same without head phones. Sound levels were modest at best." (unknown source)