|Object ID #||1957.024.021|
|Object Name||Cover, Cushion|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Year Range from||1890|
|Year Range to||1918|
|Made||Unknown (likely Helen Carrie?)|
|Place of Origin||Sydenham Township (formerly), Municipality of Meaford, Grey County?|
An embroidered white cushion cover, square in shape, with a ruffle at the edges. There is a solid fabric center with gathered frills around the edges. The center is of double thickness, while the frill is single thickness. The front of the cushion top is decorated with silk thread embroidery. It has a group of yellow and brown "Brown-eyed Susans", with green leaves and stems. There are three floral motifs in the center, and one in each of the corners. The frills around the edges are four separate ones, and not continuous around the cushion top. The frills are bordered with cream-coloured lace that has four-petalled floral motifs in it, spaced about every half inch. The edge of the lace is picot-style.
The pillow sham had belonged to Helen (Reid) Carrie, who was married to Gideon Carrie in 1858, and resided on a farm in Sydenham Township, Grey County in the 19th-century. She died in Sydenham Township, on March 18, 1918, and a lot of her textile items were passed down to her daughter, Mrs. McQuaker (nee Jessie Carrie), who had married John McQuaker in 1889 and resided in Owen Sound, Grey County.
Fine silk embroidery was fashionable in the 1890s, perhaps the sham dates to that decade?
|Collection||Textiles, Bedding Collection|
|Dimensions||W-56 L-56 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
|Function||A decorative textile item, used to cover a cushion|