|Object ID #||2006.051.004|
|Object Name||Scale, Postal|
|Title||Parcel-Weighing Scale from the Durham Post Office|
|Lexicon category||5: T&E For Science & Technology|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
Parcel-weighing scale. The weigh scale has two sliding poises. The brass parallel scales have "GURNEY MILTON" impressed on one (on the inner side). The scale's base is black-finished with dull gold striping. The scale's cast iron base has one "split"-shaped end and one rounded end. The base is cast with the raised lettering "C.P.O" and also has a crown motif. The tray area is fixed and has two long side walls, and two open ends. "6982" is stamped
|Makers mark||"GURNEY MILTON" impressed|
Manufactured by Gurney Milton. It belonged to the Durham Post Office in Grey County. The book "A History of the Town of Durham 1842-1994" describes some of the town's 19th-century postal activities, and also states that "in 1927, the government built a post office on Garafraxa Street just north of the Hahn House, and today (1994) this building is the town clerk's office. (pp. 72-75)."
Mr. J. J. Smith retired in 1940, and from 1941 to 1952 Mr. Hector H. MacDonald was the postmaster. In 1953, Mr. Robert Braithwaite was appointed postmaster, and he retired in 1986. The present (1994) postmistress is Mrs. Barbara Westgarth.
In 1968, the Federal government purchased the old white brick Hahn stables and the land to the east between the stables and erected a fine new modern post office, which is still in use (1994).
Item was last owned by Rodger Renton of Durham, Grey County.
|Collection||Commercial Equipment Collection|
|Dimensions||H-29 W-58.5 D-24 cm|
|Found||Durham, Municipality of West Grey, Grey County|
Weights & measures
Durham Post Office
May also be called a postal scale.
The base is cast with the raised lettering "C.P.O" and also has a crown motif: this suggests that it is a standard, government-approved scale.