|Object ID #||1959.023.008|
|Lexicon category||5: T&E For Science & Technology|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
An old iron and brass padlock (10 cm long). Its manufacturer is unknown. Its front and back sides have a "teddy bear's head"-shape. The brass escutcheon has a symmetrical shape, and is flat. The keyhole is a double one, with a pin in the lock, which would require a stump-hole (hollow-ended) key to open it. There is a bow closure at the top. There was once a black finish on the metal, but it is very worn away now.
The padlock was used in Owen Sound, Grey County, likely in the 19th-century. It was later owned by George Webster Butchart, whose wife was formerly Miss Emma Danard, a daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Danard of Owen Sound, Grey County. She was born in 1905.
The Butchart gravestone in Greenwood Cemetery, however, reads that Mrs. Butchart was born in 1903, and died in 1971. The donor, George Webster Butchart, was born in 1895 and died in 1966.
George Webster Butchart spent most of his life in Owen Sound, Grey County, although he served overseas during the First World War. One of his grandfathers was a James Webster, an 1850s settler in Alvanley, Derby Township, Grey County.
|Collection||Commercial Equipment Collection|
|Dimensions||W-7 L-10 D-2.1 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
Butchart, George Webster
|Function||A security device which locks a hasp or chain closure for a door or chest, etc. It required a stumphole key to open it.|