|Object ID #||2011.078.001|
|Title||Detachable Collar-Style Factory-Made Shirt|
|Lexicon category||3: Personal Artifacts|
|Date||Likely early 20th-century|
|Made||The Princely Shirt|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
Man's factory-made striped shirt. It is button-up style, and is designed to be worn with a detachable collar. The woven maker's label inside bears a shield-shaped logo and the words: "The PRINCELY Shirt". The shirt is white, with woven stripes of black, green and silky white. There are five small, two-holed pearl buttons at the front. The buttonholes are vertical. There is a ring of six horizontal buttonholes around the shirt, towards the bottom. The shirt also has three rounded tails, with two small, triangular gussets at the bottoms of the seams. The back of the short collar area has a width-wise band running from shoulder seam to shoulder seam.
|Makers mark||The woven maker's label inside has a shield-shaped logo with "The PRINCELY Shirt".|
Manufactured by The Princely Shirt. Likely dates to the early 20th-century.
Belonged to a member of the Rendall family, who farmed at Lot 27, Concession 7 in the Camperdown area of Collingwood Township, Grey County. The family often shopped in Collingwood and Meaford, Grey County. John Rendall Senior died in 1912. His sons were James Rendall, John Rendall Junior and Archie Rendall.
Last owned by Sandra Stevenson of Owen Sound, Grey County.
|Collection||Textiles, 20th-c Clothing Collection, Men's|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
|Function||The man's shirt belonged to someone in the Rendall family, who farmed in the Camperdown area of Grey County, Ontario. It would have had a collar attached to it with collar buttons. The collar was likely well-starched before it was fastened to the shirt.|