|Object ID #||1955.019.001|
|Object Name||Curtain, Doorway|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
This is an embroidered Victorian vertical velvet door panel. The velvet was described in 1955 as "wine-coloured" but it looks brown now. The embroidery has a light and dark gold coloured branch with fronds coming from it. There are two bronze-coloured metal acorn shaped weights hanging from the bottom. One brass hanging loop is at back. The backing is now very brittle, and there is a note about it being donated by Mrs. Herb Porter taped onto it.
This needlework item was either used at the farm home of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac & Annie Maria Shields in St. Vincent Township, Grey County. They had a farm at Lot 16, Concession 10, or, according to Harold Porter, a descendant of the last owner, it belonged to his grandmother, Mrs. Isaac Porter.
Last owned by Nellie Porter (neé Sinclair).
|Collection||Household Equipment, 19th-c Collection|
|Material||Velvet/Embroidery Thread/Thread /Metal (Brass)|
|Dimensions||W-14.961 L-31.102 inches|
|Found||Grey County, Ontario|