Museum logo
Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID # 1990.021.013abcdefg
Object Name Lamp, Kerosene
Title Model 11 Aladdin Lamp
Lexicon category 2: Building Furnishings
Credit line In Memory of Edwin Miller
Date 20th-century (1920s)
Year Range from 1922
Year Range to 1928
Artist The Mantle Lamp Company of America Inc.
Made The Mantle Lamp Co. of America Inc.
Place of Origin Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
Description Model 11 ALADDIN kerosene lamp (a). It is accompanied with a glass chimney (b), lamp burner (c), a reservoir filler cap (d), a three-armed lamp shade support (e), a Model 11 "generator" wick cleaner (f), and a cardboard shade (g).

Makers mark Stamp on knob
Provenance Manufactured by The Mantle Lamp Co. of America Inc. in Chicago, USA.
Formerly owned by Caroline and John Miller. Caroline's parents were Jacob and Elizabetha Ruppenthal. The Millers lived in a farm house south of Hanover, in Normanby Township, Grey County.
Last owned by Dorothy Miller (neƩ Miller), who was married to Edwin Miller, a brother of the last two occupants of the Miller farmhouse. They were twin brothers, Noah and Aaron Miller.

Collection Household Equipment, 20th-c Collection
Material Metal/Cardboard/Glass
Found Normanby Township (formerly), Municipality of West Grey, Grey County
People Miller, John & Caroline
Subjects Lighting
Function Aladdin lamps were an improvement for lighting that became very prevalent in the 1930s. They used a "mantle" at the burner area, and gave a bright white light. The Mantle Lamp Company of America" (later to become "Aladdin Industries Inc.") produced them. They had round wicks, that provided an even, non-flickering flame, compared to the flat-wicked kerosene lamps. By the early 1930s, several million Aladdins had been sold in North America.
The Model 11 lamp was introduced earlier, in 1922. It was produced in the North American market from 1922-1928. Quite a few rural households and schools in Grey County used Aladdin lamps for illumination until hydro reached their areas in the 1940s-1950s.