|Object ID #||1956.024.003|
|Title||Rev. C. J. Lister's Saddle Bag (19th-Century)|
|Lexicon category||7: Distribution & Transportation Artifact|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
|Description||Heavy, tanned leather saddle bag used by Rev. Charles J. Lister, 19th-c. Blackish colour suggests it is made of boiled leather?|
Previously owned by Charles Lister, a Disciples Church (Church of Christ) minister who was born in England. In the 1871 census, he was residing at Owen Sound. One of the early "saddlebag preachers" in Grey County, he was listed as being 50 years old in the 1871 census of Ontario. Rev. Lister was often on horseback, travelling as part of his evangelical ministry.
Rev. Lister is not listed in the 1865-1866 Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Grey under Owen Sound, but he is listed in an 1869 directory of Owen Sound. He was formerly from Bowmanville, and also St. Vincent Township, before he settled in Owen Sound. He also served a congregation at Kilsyth, Ontario.
"In 1857 C.J. Lister purchased property on Fourth Avenue East and moved to Owen Sound. He served as an evangelist, holding special services in many of the churches of the province. He was an eloquent and sympathetic preacher and many hundreds were added to church membership through his ministrations. He also served as a Missionary Evangelist on Manitoulin Island in the summers of 1889 and 1900." [Deans]--[She may have meant 1867 -- as he is not listed in local 1850s directories.]
|Material||Tanned leather / Thread|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
Lister, Charles J. (Rev.)
|Function||In the 19th-century, ministers sometimes had to travel to their charges. "Saddlebag Preachers" needed a saddle bag to carry some items in.|