Museum logo
Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID # 1960.028.004
Object Name Caddy
Title Tea Caddy Brought From Scotland (19th-c)
Lexicon category 4: T&E For Materials
Date 19th-century
Year Range from 1835
Year Range to 1860
Made Unknown tinsmith
Place of Origin Unknown
Description Tinware tea caddy, 19th-c. A tea caddy was a storage container for loose tea. It would protect the tea from rodents and insects. The hasp could have a lock secured on it to protect the tea from theft. It was 17.5 cm x 26 cm x 24.5 cm. Ovoid shape to its body and hasp closure. The tin has a front and back vertical seam. The interior is open, with no compartments. The lid is secured with a wire-run hinge. There is a brass lift handle at the top of the lid, secured by two round brass nuts. No maker's identification is seen. No decoration applied. Display Label: Tea caddies were containers for storing loose tea leaves. They protected the tea from rodents, insects and pilfering. This tin tea caddy reportedly came from Scotland, and belonged to a McGregor family, possibly before 1830.
Provenance According to the previous owner's information, this is a "Tea Caddy brought from Scotland--100 to 125 years old" (circa 1835-1860?). It likely belonged to John McGregor (d. May, 1874), who came to Canada from Aberdeenshire, Scotland in 1830. A stonemason, he lived in a Scottish settlement near Fergus or Elora, Canada West. Reportedly a Margaret McGregor once lived west of Chatsworth in Sullivan Township at some point in time.
Collection Household Equipment, 19th-c Collection
Material Metal/Tin
Dimensions H-24.5 W-26 L-17.5 cm
Found Grey County, Ontario