|Object ID #||1956.015.003|
|Object Name||Mold, Candle|
|Title||Candle Mold for Three Candles|
|Lexicon category||4: T&E For Materials|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
|Description||One tin candle mold for three candles. The molds are lined in a row. The rectangular end has a wire ring attached to it.|
Previously owned by Aubrey Holmes, who was a son of George Holmes, an Owen Sound, Ontario photographer. Owen Sound had a couple of Military Reserves created when it was surveyed in the 1850s. An old postcard view (early 20th-century) has been seen showing display cannon on the east hill area. They no longer exist, and we do not know what happened to them.
Brooke was originally surveyed as the Town plot of Brookeholm in 1857, after the Newash Ojibwa were moved away from the Newash Reserve. The area was slow to develop, due to speculation, but eventually became a residential area. Brooke was annexed to Owen Sound in 1909.
Mr. Aubrey Holmes, was the son of George Holmes & Mary (MacKey) Holmes. George Holmes (b. 1860?) was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Holmes. George's mother died in 1865 from smallpox, when he was five years of age. The Holmes family was related to the Steadman family. The Holmes family were previously located in Puslinch Township, before they came to Grey County. Robert Holmes had a lime kiln at Holmes' Rock, along the Garafraxa Road (now 9th Avenue East near 6th Street East, Owen Sound, Grey County).
|Collection||Household Equipment, 19th-c Collection|
|Dimensions||H-4 W-10 L-28 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
|Function||This candle mold was used in Owen Sound, Ontario by the Holmes or Steadman family?|