Museum logo
Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID # 1959.072.001
Object Name Hat, Straw
Title Boy's Straw Hat (c.1889)
Lexicon category 3: Personal Artifacts
Date c. 1889
Year Range from 1885
Year Range to 1890
Made Unknown
Place of Origin Unknown
Description William Savage wore this boy's straw hat circa 1889. The straw is left natural, but has darkened over the years. There is a brown satin ribbon band around the crown. The ribbon has interwoven stripes, and fastens at the right side in a bow. The straw crown is flat-topped.The brim of the hat turns up slightly at the sides. A brown leather band encircles the inside edge of the crown. There is a shiny red cotton fabric lining. There is some white lace net inside, and remants of a paper label. "750" is written on the back of the leather band.
Makers mark Label is damaged now
Provenance Last owned by Mrs. F. P. (Lila?) Tinker, who told the museum staff in 1959 that this hat had formerly belonged to her brother, William Savage, but didn't provide any information about her family's history, just said that it was worn circa 1889.

In February of 1937, Mrs. F. P. Tinker was listed in the 1937 Owen Sound telephone directory at 922, 3rd Avenue West. In the 1946 telephone book, she was not listed. In the December 1956 telephone book, she was at 937, 5th Avenue East.

There is a Mrs. Frank Tinker (b. 1883-d. 1976) who was buried at the Leith cemetery. Her first name was Lila.

Melba Croft's book, CITY OF OWEN SOUND 1921, mentioned a W. Savage, who was "often credited in the papers as a member of the British United Club (rugby), who were city league football champions.

The OWEN SOUND ADVERTISER of Thursday June 4, 1874 reported the marriage of Miss Minnie A. Warren of Kilsyth, Derby Township to Dr. E. W. Tinker (of Nelsonville, Ohio).

In 1887, a stonecutter named Patrick Savage, and his wife Maggie Jane Jeffrey, had a daughter, Maggie, born to them on July 15, 1887.

A death notice in the OWEN SOUND SUN-TIMES in April, 1966, mentioned that a former resident of Owen Sound, William Savage, died in Timmins on April 20th. He had worked in Owen Sound for some years at the Empire Stove Co. and moved to Timmins about 25 years previous to his death. In Timmins, he worked at the MacIntyre Mines. William Savage was born in Blockwood, Scotland, and came to Canada as a young man. His wife was Lillian McBride of Hepworth, Bruce County.

A 1924 wedding notice mentioned that a William Savage married Stella Irene Boddy, the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. Boddy of Owen Sound on June 21. William Savage was a nephew of Mr. and Mrs. E. Merry, formerly of Owen Sound. William and Stella were married in Windsor, where they were planning to take up residence.
Collection Textiles, 19th-c Clothing Collection, Child, Male
Material Straw/Cotton/Ribbon/Leather/Net/Paper
Dimensions H-7.6 W-21.9 L-25.5 cm
Found Owen Sound, Grey County