|Object ID #||1959.002.048|
|Title||Chair Made by William Milson (c. 1875)|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Place of Origin||Euphrasia Township (formerly), Municipality of Grey Highlands, Grey County|
|Description||Upholstered, hand-carved fancy, balloon-backed side chair. There seems to be an Eastlake influence, as there are rectilinear lines and incised markings. The curved cresting rail is carved. Centrally there is a triangular crest with a pattern on the front. The edges of the cresting rail are partially bevelled. Scallops are present above the rounded corner of the cresting rail, and on the tops of the posts. The one straight splat has a long incised line and dotted pattern on its front side. The seat is made of black horsehair (woven haircloth) upholstery, with light-brown trim around the edges. The back legs are sabre-style. The front legs are kneed sabre in their styling. The chair has a varnished, natural colour to its wood. Dowel and glue construction has been used, with some metal brackets with slotted head screws. Wood is probably walnut.|
Hand-made by William Milson (b. England, circa 1836) at "Maple Grove Farm", Concession 11, Euphrasia Township, Grey County. He likely made it circa 1875. It was passed down to his grandson, Mr. Wm. G. Reid of Owen Sound, Grey County.
William Milson was 59 years old when he died on July 29, 1896. He and his wife are buried at the Walters Falls United Church cemetery.
|Collection||Furniture, 19th-c Collection|
|Dimensions||H-94.6 W-38.5 L-45.5 cm|
|Found||Grey County, Ontario|
|Function||Individual seating, suitable for a parlour area|