|Object ID #||2005.024.001|
|Object Name||Pin, Membership|
|Title||Red Cross Volunteer's Pin (Second World War)|
|Lexicon category||8: Communication Artifact|
|Year Range from||1940|
|Year Range to||1945|
|Artist||E. C. Ford|
|Made||E. C. Ford|
|Place of Origin||Montreal, Quebec|
A Canadian Red Cross volunteer's pin, from W.W.#2. It is a round, small lapel pin, with a slightly convex display side. It has a simple design of a red cross on a white background. There is a shiny finish (it might be a clear enamel). The pinstem protrudes slightly longer than the button area. The maker's name is printed in tiny red lettering around the edge.
|Makers mark||printed around the edge: E. C. Ford Registered, Montreal|
Margaret Eisenbach (neé Oehm) was born and raised on the 5th Concession of Normanby Township, Grey County. By the time the Second World War started (1939), her father had passed away and she cared for her mother and helped her brother on the farm. She was active in her church and community, so when the Red Cross looked for volunteers, she was one of many in Normanby who came forward.
According to her nephew, Ross Liebold, the women who volunteered for the Red Cross usually met once a month (especially in the winter). As in Margaret's case, they were all farm women and lived on the 5th Concession. They took turns meeting in each other's homes, where they would knit or quilt or do anything necessary to help the boys overseas."
Mrs. Eisenbach later lived in Ayton, Grey County. The pin last belonged to her daughter, Kathy Mauer (neé Eisenbach).
|Material||Celluloid? Clear Enamel?/Metal/Ink|
Eisenbach, Margaret Oehm
World War II
Canadian Red Cross Society
|Function||An insignia item worn to show that one was a volunteer for the Red Cross.|