|Object ID #||1955.002.001|
|Object Name||Hat, Top|
|Title||Mr. George Snider's Top Hat|
|Lexicon category||3: Personal Artifacts|
|Made||Christy's (of London)|
|Place of Origin||England, United Kingdom|
|Description||Black felt top hat that belonged to George Snider of Owen Sound. It is printed inside the crown with an elaborate Christy's of London trademark.|
This top hat belonged to the late George Snider, M.P. for North Grey, member at the time of Confederation (1867). Mr. Snider was also a Land Agent and Magistrate at Owen Sound, Ontario. Snider's Hill in Owen Sound is named after him. His lifedates were b. 1813-d. June 16, 1885. The item was inherited by Jean Armstrong of Owen Sound (a grand-niece).
Mr. George Snider was born at Eglinton on January 31, 1813. His grandfather Snider had emigrated to the United States from Germany. He married Jane Maughan in 1835. Between the years 1848-1850, he sold Crown Lands to people, and served as Sheriff of Grey County between 1853-1863. In 1855, he was among the trustees of the new Owen Sound Mechanics' Institute (a library organization precursor of the Owen Sound Public library). Circa 1861, he owned a corner lot at what is now 9th St. and 1st Ave. West, Owen Sound. An 1879 map of Owen Sound (1977.032.002) has "Geo. Snider' property labelled on the west side.
George Snider was a Reformer Member of Parliament for three terms, and was presented with a "Confederation Medal" as he had been present as a member on July 1, 1867. Mr. Snider also served as Mayor of Owen Sound in 1859-1860, 1863-1864 and 1871. He died at the age of 73 on June 16, 1885. There is a photograph of him when elderly (see 1981.008.001).
|Collection||Textiles, 19th-c Clothing Collection, Men's|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|