Museum logo
Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID # 1992.044.001ab
Object Name Bottle
Other Name Bottle, Oil
Title Motor Oil Bottle
Lexicon category 7: Distribution & Transportation Artifact
Date 1930s or 1940s?
Year Range from 1932
Year Range to 1976
Made Marquette Mfg. Co. Ltd.
Place of Origin Montreal, Quebec
Description Glass motor oil bottle (A), with its metal pouring spout (B). This clear glass bottle has the manufacturer's name ("MARQUETTE MFG CO. OF CANADA LIMITED") in raised lettering and an arrow and the wording "FILL TO LINE AT ARROW POINT". The pressed clear glass has what appears to be a "Diamond D" mark on its base. If so, then it was manufactured by Dominion Glass of Canada. More embossed lettering near the base of the bottle reads "Design Pat. No. 38 295103." The red, metal lid of the bottle extends in a long spout, which ends on an angle. There is a small air hole in the side of the lid near its threaded base and close to a large seam that runs the vertical length of the spout.
Makers mark Base has "diamond D" mark embossed (= Dominion Glass)
Provenance Marie Silverthorn told museum staff that this motor oil bottle was obtained from the Estate of Art Moore of Owen Sound, Grey County.

Dominion Glass was formed by a merger of glass companies in 1913 and kept using the Dominion name until 1976. This glass pattern was registered in 1932.

Collection Bottles & Equipment, 20th-c Collection
Material Pressed Glass / Metal
Dimensions H-41 Dia-9.5 cm
Found Owen Sound, Grey County
Function Early service stations had their motor oil in large bulk containers. Smaller, measured containers were needed for keeping units of oil in readiness for customers.