|Object ID #||1960.015.002|
|Object Name||Stool, Piano|
|Title||Haircloth-Upholstered Organ Stool|
|Lexicon category||6: T&E For Communication|
|Made||Wm. Doherty & Co. (Clinton, Ontario)|
|Place of Origin||Ontario|
Haircloth-upholstered organ stool to accompany the Doherty organ. There are three shaped walnut wood legs attached to a central upright wooden piece. The seat is square-shaped, with black haircloth [horsehair] upholstery, stuffed with straw. The legs have bevelled edges. There is an iron screw for adjusting the height of the seat.
Very likely dates from 1888, the year that the Doherty organ that it accompanied was manufactured. Wm. Doherty & Co., organ manufacturers, were established at Clinton, Ontario in 1875. They were still manufacturing organs circa 1894.
Belonged to Mr. and Mrs. John Nigh of Strathaven (on the Sydenham Township side of the town line), Grey County. Last owned by Mrs. Elmer Brown.
|Collection||Musical Instruments & Accessories Collection|
|Dimensions||H-48.5 W-31.5 L-31.5 cm|
|Found||Sydenham Township (formerly), Municipality of Meaford, Grey County|
|Function||An adjustable seat for an organist. Horsehair was commonly used in the 19th-century as an upholstery stuffing, and also woven into covering fabrics (haircloth) for furniture upholstery.|