|Object ID #||1957.025.001abc|
|Title||Edison Amberola Phonograph Machine|
|Lexicon category||6: T&E For Communication|
|Year Range from||1915|
|Year Range to||1929|
|Place of Origin||United States of America|
A cylinder-type phonograph, with an internal sound horn (an external sound horn was also given this number, but doesn't go with it actually). It is an Edison Amberola Model (they were introduced in 1908 as Edison extended his records from two-minutes ones to four-minute black Amberol records, and then later, bright blue Amberol celluloid records were introduced in 1912). CAUTION: Do not place any dark navy blue or black cylinder records on this machine, only display a bright blue Amberol on it, to be historically accurate and to prevent damage to a black cylinder.
A. ? (perhaps the Reproducer?)
B. Phonograph machine
It has an oak finish and mitred corners. It has a flat-topped lid on two hinges, which can be propped and stopped in an open position by means of hardware at the inner left side. The inside of the lid has a gold decal of the word "Edison" (script-style) that shows up nicely when the lid is in the up position. At the back, underneath the arm, one can see a gold-coloured decal of the Thomas A. Edison trademark signature. The mandrel is the silvertone, plated cylindrical part. The metal of the head and arm and metal grille is black-finished. The top side metal grill has four elliptical holes.
When the other fabric-backed front grille is removed, one can see the internal horn. To its right, inside the cabinet, is a metal maker's label with patent dates and the Edison trademark info. There is also a "4304" that might be a serial number? and there is also as "30" that was added to the label.
The right side of the machine has a metal wind-up crank handle, that has a shiny wooden knob with a lighter finish on it.
The catalogue number is present on the back side of the cabinet (due to its heaviness) so this side will have to be positioned away from the viewer when the phonograph is displayed.
C. Grille (needs to be re-inserted). This front grille piece is rectangular, with vertically elliptical voids that are backed with decorative beige-coloured silky damask-style fabric. The grille's front side has a faux wood grain finish on the metal.
Operation: A wax cylinder record would be put horizontally onto the mandrel. Only one record could be played at a time. The fragile records that were not in use were stored in cardboard tube containers to protect them from breakage and from dust. All Edison phonographs were driven with a mechanical feed screw that advanced a carriage at a constant speed. Edison's company also had a jewelled stylus (stylli) for his machines. See RELATED for an operation booklet for an Amberola (1987.014.001) and for the wax cylinder records that were formerly used in conjunction with it.
|Makers mark||Metal maker's label present inside (at the right of the internal horn). It has Edison trademark and patent info, but it is a bit hard to read because of its placement.|
The phonograph machine had formerly belonged to a J. J. Fleming of Grey County (likely resided in Derby Township). It was also owned by the Stuart and Gladys Vanstone family in Derby Township.
|Collection||Musical Instruments & Accessories Collection|
|Dimensions||W-41 L-41 inches|
|Found||Derby Township (formerly), Township of Georgian Bluffs, Grey County|