|Object ID #||1956.001.006|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Place of Origin||Owen Sound, Ontario|
Very large white open crochet worked fringed doily made of seven hexagonal pieces joined together.
This doily was owned in Owen Sound, Ontario, but its year of being made and its maker are not recorded.
It may have belonged to Maria Armstrong (neé Maughan) or Mrs. George Snider of Owen Sound, Ontario.
In the 1881 Census of Owen Sound, Ontario, in the section of town enumerated by Simon Parke, Maria Maughan is listed with her siblings and mother. In 1881 she was 20 years of age. The Maughan family had an English origin.
Maria's parents were Joseph Maughan and Mary Buchan [a daughter of Walter Buchan, who built "Buchan Manor" at Owen Sound]. Joseph's sister was Mrs. George Snider, and the Maughan family lived with the Sniders for about two years while their house on the west hill was being built next door. Maria was born before the Maughan cottage was built. She spent a lot of her young life taking care of her aunt, Mrs. Snider, who had virtually adopted the Maughan children. Maria attended the Owen Sound high school in the late 1870s, but found that she could not enter the University of Toronto, as they offered no courses for women. She became a local teacher before her marriage to Mr. John Armstrong in the 1880s. The Armstrongs lived at the Snider residence and Mr. Armstrong became a law partner with W.P. Telford Jr. Later on, Mr. Armstrong became Crown Attorney. Maria was involved in many Owen Sound organizations in her lifetime.
|Collection||Textiles, Household Linens Collection|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
Armstrong, John & Maria