|Object ID #||1962.007.003|
|Title||Mrs. E. W. Bishop's Coffee Pot|
|Lexicon category||4: T&E For Materials|
|Place of Origin||England, United Kingdom?|
Pewter and graniteware coffee pot, 19th-c. The top area is pewter. There is a finial-style lift knob at the top of the lid. The spout is fancier than most. It is not enamelled, nor is the handle. The body of the pot has graniteware enamelling, giving it a greyish-blue-white colouration.
This Victorian coffee or tea pot was originally owned by Sarah Bishop (neé Kilbourn / Kilbourne), who was born in 1839 and married Ebenezer W. Bishop. Apparently it came from England, but it is unknown what year the Kilbourns or Bishops acquired it.
Ebenezer & Sarah Bishop were business people in the late 19th-century at Owen Sound, Ontario. Ebenezer had a hotel, and later went into the harness-making business. Sarah was a businesswoman, as she was a milliner, and also sold lace goods. Her family had long been in the hat business.
Later owned by Louise MacKay (neé Bishop), their granddaughter. She married Fred MacKay and was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Avery Bishop Sr. One of her brothers became a W.W.#1 flying ace (Billy Bishop).
|Collection||Food Service Tools & Equipment|
|Dimensions||H-27 W-23.7 L-12.3 Dia-12.3 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
|Function||A container used for steeping and pouring hot tea or for coffee|