|Object ID #||2000.012.001|
|Object Name||Trophy, Game|
|Title||The MacKay Trophy|
|Lexicon category||8: Communication Artifact|
|Year Range from||1911|
|Year Range to||1946|
|Place of Origin||Hamilton, Ontario|
This is a large lawnbowling trophy, known as the "MacKay Trophy". This trophy has engraved shield-shaped plates on it recording winners from 1911 to 1946. The pedestal base incorporates four lawn bowling balls from the period (metal). The cup part is silver-plated, and engraved.
This "MacKay Trophy" records the winners of lawn bowling championships from 1911 to 1946. It was among club house memorabilia saved by the St. George's Lawn Bowling Club at Owen Sound, Grey County, after a fire in 1998. Owen Sound lawn bowlers won this trophy in 1914-1915, 1917, 1924-1926, 1937, 1940, and 1946. Wiarton won it in 1916 and 1918. Meaford won it in 1929 and 1936. Elora, Guelph, Stratford and Orangeville teams also were winners.
The trophy was electroplated by the Meriden Co. of Hamilton, Ontario, but used and later kept in Owen Sound.
|Collection||Sporting & Recreational Equipment, 20th-c Collection|
|Dimensions||H-59 Dia-33 cm|
|Found||Owen Sound, Grey County|
St. George's Lawn Bowling Club