|Object ID #||1992.073.003|
|Title||No. 23 Grange Stencil|
|Lexicon category||6: T&E For Communication|
|Place of Origin||Collingwood Township (formerly) Town of Blue Mountains, Grey County|
|Description||B.V.D. Grange No. 23 sheet metal stencil. This stencil is semi-circular in shape (three straight edges and a curved top). It is made out of a sheet of non-magnetic, lead-coloured metal. The wording is "B.V.D. No. 23 GRANGE". [Beaver Valley Dominion Grange?] No maker's identification seen.|
Used in the 19th-century by the No. 23 Grange organization in Collingwood Township, Grey County.
Last owned by Mrs. Cooper, the wife of Walter J. Cooper, who died in 1986. He was a great-grandson of Andrew Shore, J.P., of Collingwood Township, Grey County.
He arrived in the township in 1850, left, and soon after, returned in 1852. Mr. Shore was an official of the first Beaver Valley Co-operative Association Ltd. [Clarksburg, Ont.] and was one of the founders of the No. 23 Grange organization in Collingwood Township. He died in 1904.
|Collection||Commercial Equipment Collection|
|Dimensions||W-49 L-20.6 cm|
|Found||Collingwood, Simcoe County|
B.V.D. Grange No. 23
|Function||Barrel heads were often identified with stencilled lettering to identify ownership or contents. This stencil was used by an agrarian organization called a "grange".|