|Object ID #||1969.030.004|
|Object Name||Table, Parlor|
|Title||Clawfooted Parlour Table|
|Lexicon category||2: Building Furnishings|
|Place of Origin||Unknown|
Three-legged "clawfoot" parlour table. This item had been black-finished at one point, but it has been refinished and now is a golden oak wood finish. It has a trefoil-shaped top, as well as a trefoil-shaped lower shelf. The three legs are turned. The castors are colourless glass balls, held in metal claws. There is a wooden beaded edge trim. The legs are decoratively-turned.
This may be an early 20th-century item. Parlour tables with shaped tops and a lower shelf were advertised in the 1901-1902 catalogues.
Probably used at "Bothwell's Manor", a 19th-century Victorian farm house owned by George Bothwell adn located on the north side of Highway 26 near Hatton's Corners [in the former Sydenham Township Grey County]. This location is just east of Owen Sound, Grey County.
Passed down to Gordon and Viola Bothwell.
|Collection||Furniture, 19th-c Collection|
|Found||Sydenham Township (formerly), Municipality of Meaford, Grey County|
|Function||A small table, kept in a parlour area and used to display only a couple of objects at a time, often on top of doilies.|