|Object ID #||1959.002.019|
|Title||Folding Bracket Shelf|
|Lexicon category||1: Structures|
|Place of Origin||Asia|
|Description||Black, collapsible bracket shelf (suitable for displaying one object). The backboard of the shelf is shaped and symmetrical. There are three drilled holes where one can screw the backboard to a wall surface. The shelf is hinged so that it can be folded down for storage. A brass catch is used to hold the shelf in position when needed. The top area has a bird and fish and fan-like shape motif. Underneath is a green leaf and leafy vine-like motif, as well as a morning glory vine and bee motif, a flower spray motif and a butterfly motif. Decoration is orientalized. No maker's identification present.|
The origin of this bracket shelf is not confirmed, but it likely was made in Asia.
Owned by Mary Ann (Minnie) Givens (neé McKay), who lived in the Massie District, Holland Township, Grey County. Minnie married James Givens in July of 1898. Minnie and James farmed in Holland Township, but are buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Owen Sound. James R. Givens was born in 1875 and died in 1958. Minnie was born in 1871 and died in 1950.
Next owned by Jean Reid (neé Givens), their daughter, who married William Reid. Jean was born in 1899 and died in 1991.
|Collection||Furniture, 19th-c Collection|
|Found||Grey County, Ontario|
Reid, W. G.